26.11.06

comm design rationale (i wanna make a website because they're good)

Although I enjoyed working on my montage and working with print, I want to develop my web making skills further, so I have decided to make a website.
I first thought of possibly making a website to promote a film or book, but after some thought I have decided to make a photography website or resource for students. This way I am working with a subject that interests me, and attempting to fill what I think is a gap in what is avaidable on the internet. I have used the websites avaidable (that I was able to find), and most whilst containing useful information were poorly designed, difficult to navigate and full of google ads and pop ups.
I want to make a well designed website that is easy to navigate and use, which contains a lot of information but still uses graphics and images to make it into more of an visual experience.
The target audience of my website will mainly be students (photography, possibly multimedia / graphic design / fine art students), and possibly teachers and lecturers aswell.
I want to survey a group of people from my target audience to find out what information they look for and want on a photography website, but possible sections could be equipment, history of photography, recommended books, and information on upcoming exhibitions. I want to make the information on the website relevant to what my target audience want, so I’ll be asking them about their favourite photographers, cameras, websites and also their other interests, so I can get an idea of what kind of design would be suited to my target audience.
I think web design is best suited for this idea as it can keep up to date with new events easily, can easily contain a lot of information and can utilise multimedia to make slideshows of photographers work or something.

No comments: