12.12.06

Aniamtion evaluation (hehe that ryhmes)

I’m really happy with my animation, it’s the first proper animation I’ve ever done, and the first time I’ve used maya, so I’m quite proud I’ve managed to get something that works, let alone works this well. I think some of the synchronization is off in the first six seconds, but I think I’ve managed to synchronize the rest quite well. I think my decision to abandon some of my ideas and not include the “whooshy floower” or army of marching toys was right, the cubie thing is enough to hold the viewers attention, it’s an interesting object in itself, there was no need to add anything else to the animation.
I don’t think I planned my time effectively, I ended up only spending three weeks on the final piece, the rest of the term was spent learning the programs and doing research. I found it difficult to storyboard ideas when I was unsure of what I would be able to do with the programs. I was sure I wanted to do something in maya as 3d interests me so much, but I was tempted to do something in flash as I have previous experience in using the program. I’ve ended up using both maya and flash, which I think was effective. It would have taken me weeks to animate each individual cube to the music in maya, where as in flash I was able to use the frames exported from maya of the cubes moving, and then synchronize it to the music in flash. I would have liked to have done it all in maya, it would have been nice to experiment more with the movement of the cubes, but I think it still works well.
If I was going to do this project again, I would like to give myself more time to actually make my final piece and experiment in maya some more, I feel most of my experimentation was done whilst making the final piece, which was a bit frustrating as I had to concentrate on getting the thing done instead of really pushing it further.

No comments: