29.10.06

montage evaluation... thing.

I'm really happy with my montage, i've been waiting for an oppotunity to do something more illustration based as i always ended up in the darkroom on my last course, this time i got to experiment with hand drawn elements which have always interested me, and i experimented with layouts.

The original idea was to have everything coming out of the camera lens, to show how i sometimes see possible photographs everywhere, and how photography has affected my perception of the world, which in the illustration is made up of my possessions and pretty patterns! I used the photograph of the front of the camera in the montage as the photograph was a higher quality image and it makes the camera instantly recognizable. I converted the photograph of the camera to grey scale as the original photograph was a bit orange, and the camera becomes part of the image and patterns.

I originally wanted to use a gradient effect, with the patterns becoming darker the further away they were from the camera lens, but ended up just having a flat pattern instead. I liked how the image looked before i attempted any gradient effects, so decided to leave the image as it was, as i didn't want to do too much with an already busy image.

Alot of the feedback talks about the simplicity of the image, which i think is in the colours and the feel of the hand drawn elements. The layout is effective and the artwork is "unique". They've also said that the colour scheme makes the viewer focus on the only colourful element, the duck!

I'm pretty happy with the final image, i think i could have included more or possibly different personal items which said more about myself, but i like the effect generated by elements i've included. Basically that i really like photography and pretty patterns and random images stuck on my walls and silly things like ducks.

No comments: